Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

what drug replaced motival?

what drug replaced motival?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There has not been a true replacement for Motival, but it can be achieved by using two different drugs.

The Motival was a combination product that contained two components - fluphenazine and nortriptyline. Although there is no other medicine that is available that contains both medicines, each individual medicine is separately available. So, if the same two drugs are desired, your doctor can prescribe each drug separately, and each component can be adjusted separately. The fluphenazine is in a brand named drug called Modecate, and the nortriptyline is in a brand named drug called Pamelor.

Part of the reason that the combination drug was discontinued is that there is limited situations in which both drugs are used together, but if such a situation is present, the doctor can prescribe each component.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. What precautions should my wife take, who has Sjogren`s Syndrome?

It is frequently better for someone with Sjogren's syndrome to avoid the nortripityline.
What is the problem for which the replacement for Motival is being sought?
How is the Sjogren's syndrome affecting her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dry eyes, dry mouth, fatigue and depression about her life style which is exacerbated by her pelvic floor muscle dysfunction and the resultant very frequent visits to the toilet.

I'm sorry for the delay, but I had stepped away from the computer by the time that you replied.

One of the common side effects to the nortriptyline includes a dry mouth, so would generally be better to avoid it in people with Sjogrens that are already having a dry mouth.

I asked what condition is being treated so that I could comment on what alternative treatments may be available. There are several newer antidepressants can could be considered.

The only other precautions with the medicines used in Motival is that it can cause significant sedation, so there should always be caution when starting the drug, particularly in performing activities that require alertness, such as driving.