DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, I had a blood test recently that has shown a faint band

Customer Question

Hi, I had a blood test recently that has shown a faint band of paraprotein. I have (stupidly) googled this and everything I read seems to point to cancer. I now haven't slept for days, have lost my appetite, am suffering panic attacks and just keep crying. I have 5 children (youngest is 6) and all I can think about now is dying and leaving them. Does this paraprotein always mean something serious and how likely is it to be serious? I have handed in a urine sample to be tested and am currently waiting for the results but I can not face another week or so of feeling like this? Please advise me on whether I should be worried?
Thank you, Ollie
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No it does not
What test exactly
Results and reference ranges
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I received a letter from my gp after the blood test which referred me for an early morning urine sample. On the letter it said reason for request was faint band paraprotein. This is all I know as yet.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Paraproteins can be of concern, such as in multiple myeloma, or they can be benign, such as in monoclonal gammopathy of unclear significance.
So, not, they are not always cancer.
A condition called amyloidosis can also cause paraproteins.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Please don't forget a positive rating.
Find me as needed, particularly if you get more information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are looking for bence jones protein in my urine, is this indicative that they think it could be multiple myeloma?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I originally went to the doctors as I have a back ache after standing still for long periods. I gave no other symptoms, I have not lost any weight (infact I think I may have gained) I feel completely normal apart from the back ache but it is more muscular than in my spine and I have always thought it was just because I have had 5 children. I'm sorry to keep asking questions but this really is stressing me out and I am getting myself in such a state over it. I can't go to work or go out the house which obviously isn't very nice for my children who are worried about why I am acting like this (I haven't told them anything)
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes
That is what they are looking for, but I don't think you will have that given your age.
So I would calm down.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Further questions?