Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have been getting headaches at least once a day for a couple

Customer Question

I have been getting headaches at least once a day for a couple of weeks and very dizzy when I wake up with the room spinning for 5-10 mins.
Any ideas what's wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this headache & dizziness.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-
Have you checked your blood pressure?
Any test done so far?
Is there anything that increases the headache?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have really good blood pressure.
If I have 2-3 beers and stop drinking I often get a headache but they seem to come for no reason mainly
No tests done keep telling me to take paracetamol but I think taking at least four a day is excessive
Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The headache & dizziness you are having can be due to various causes.
Problems in the inner ear are the most frequent cause of dizziness. It is caused by a disturbance within the balance organs of the inner ear.The inner ear contains 3 semi-circular canals that function like a gyroscope, relaying information about head position and movement to the brain.
When fluid volume or pressure in one inner ear changes, information about balance is altered.This causes sending of wrong messages to the brain about your body's position.This result in vertigo and dizziness.
Other causes of headache & dizziness are:migraine,stress headache,Acoustic neuroma,rapid changes in motion,decreased blood flow through the arteries that supply blood to the base of the brain (vertebrobasilar insufficiency).
The recommended dose of paracetamol of regular-strength (325 mg)is two tablets every four to six hours as needed,not to exceed 12 tablets in 24 hours.
For extra-strength (500 mg) paracetamol:two tablets every four to six hours as needed, not to exceed 8 tablets in 24 hours.The maximum daily dose is 4 grams.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Other then paracetamol,you may need other prescription medications accordingly.Ear disease are to be ruled out.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is acoustic neuroma
And is that still the only thing to take paracetamol
Dear customer
Thank you for replying back.
An acoustic neuroma is a benign tumor(noncancerous growth) that develops on the nerve that connects the ear to the brain. This is a rare cause of dizziness & headache.
The paracetamol will relieve the pain temporarily only.
The treatment to cure the underling condition will be done according to the cause.The treatment of dizziness includes medications like: anticholinergics, antihistamines, and benzodiazepines.These are prescription medications.
You may need the following tests:
-Electronystagmography (ENG)
-Videonystagmography (VNG),
-A test called- Dix-Hallpike manoeuvre
-ABR or auditory brain response,
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
I have seen that you have not rated my answer yet.Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert