Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

bowel stools creamy in colour

Customer Question

bowel stools creamy in colour
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

When stool turns to a cream colour, either white or off-white, it is typically due to a lack of bile in the stool. Bile is a necessary part of the digestive process and bile that has passed though the gut gives the stool its characteristic brown colour.

Bile is made in the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and then passes down the bile duct into the small intestine. A disease anywhere in this process can prevent the bile from getting into the small intestine and then ultimately into the stool. Consequently, cream coloured stool can be due to liver dysfunction, gallbladder diseases, or other conditions that compress or block the bile duct, such as pancreatic swelling or tumour.

Therefore, whenever someone has cream coloured stool, it is recommended that they be seen for further evaluation. If there is significant abdominal pain or vomiting, it would be appropriate to be seen quickly. If these symptoms are not present, it still is appropriate to be seen, but it does not need to be done quickly.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.