Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

How to treat an aneursm near the heart...?

Customer Question

Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 3 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

An aortic aneurysm treatment depends on whether it is on the ascending portion of the aorta (immediately next to the heart) or the descending aorta going from the arch down to the belly.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If it is in the first segment surgery is the only way to fix it. This can be done with surgery to reduce the size of the aneurysm or a stent graft (basically a metal-reinforced tube that is placed inside the aorta.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If it is an aneurysm of the other part of the aorta it can be treated with blood pressure control and repeat image monitorin, however if it reaches a certain size, approx 5cm it needs to be treated in the same manner I described for the other type of aneurysm (on the first part of the aorta)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The first part has to be surgically treated if there is a dissection ( splitting of the wall) if it is purely just an aneurysm there it too can be watched and treated with those procedure when it reaches the appropriate size.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello, did you receive my answer?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Here it is again

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

8/17/14 12:43 PM

8/17/14 12:44 PM

8/17/14 12:45 PM

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Does that answer your question?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello, did I answer your question?