Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 86 with all the usual problems of control @ limit

Customer Question

I am 86 with all the usual problems of urine control @ limit my liquid intake accordingly ie. if I go out in an evening 1/1.5 pints is OK except that I have to get up numerous times to compensate. However the problem is that if I go over this amount every thing stops I can have quite a bit of pain but cannot pass any amount of urine for literally hours. Is there a product that can relive this situation when it occurs ?.
(note-my PSA has been constant at around 10 for at least 8yrs. )
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The medicines that are usually used first for this work better if taken every day, rather than only taking it when symptoms occur. The most commonly used initial medicines are alpha-blockers, such as tamsulosin, although there are several on the market. Another common option for long term management is a medicine that affects testosterone metabolism, such as finasteride.

One of the newer class of medicines being used for relief of symptoms are the medicines that are used for erectile dysfunction, Viagra and Cialis. There is increasing evidence that these medicines also can help with easing these symptoms, and the pharmacology of these medicines is more conducive to use only when symptoms occur.

So, if you are looking for a medicine that can be taken when you are having problems, the best medicine to consider would be either Viagra or Cialis, and Cialis may be a better option only from the perspective of being longer acting. However, if you are having more frequent symptoms, it would probably be better to take an alpha-blocker on a daily basis.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.