Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My daughter (15) often has dizzy spells, feels faint or simply

My daughter (15) often has dizzy spells, feels faint or simply faints altogether. She is not underweight, what can it be?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
This is known as orthostasis. This is when you change positions and get lightheaded or faint.
This is a commmon problem in young people.
One common cause is dehydration. If she isn't drinking enough water/fluids that can do it.
Also, there is something known as vasovagal syncope which is an overactive nerve that controls lowering blood pressure. this is also common in young people.
There are some other rare problems like heart issues that can cause this.
I think it would be reasonable to see the GP and have some blood work done. Try increasing fluids. Also, a heart test. IF all is normal, there are medicines that can help raise blood pressure and blunt this effect.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)