Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had A left hip replacement 2007. October 2023 Arthroscopic

I had A left hip replacement 2007. October 2023 Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression,
Repair of Large Tear Rotator Cuff Left Shoulder. Problem Thumb and Fingers of Left Hand Feel Numb, Can't Turn Pages. HELP!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
To clarify, the left hand has the numbness and the right hand has the weakness, correct?
Or is there another pattern to the symptoms?
How long have you been having these symptoms?
Does the numbness affect all of the fingers or only some of the fingers?
Does the numbness affect the palm surface of the fingers or the back of the fingers, or both?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The left hand is the numbness problem, mostly Thumb and first 3 fingers and the palm surface only a little on the back. As to How Long I have Had These Symptoms , I cannot Pinpoint- As There has been to much happening Do Have Some Muscle Pain Which I believe Chiropractor is Dealing with, The right thumb could be with opening suppliments

Thank you for the additional information.

The pattern of numbness that you describe is typical for carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition of the wrist the compresses the median nerve, which passes through the inner aspect of the wrist and serves the palmar surface of the thumb and first two or three fingers (whether the ring finger is served by the median nerve varies from one individual to another).

Carpal tunnel syndrome would not be directly related to the problems that you have had with the hip and shoulder, but all of these problems are typically a wear and tear type of problem, so all three can be due to the same underlying issue with wear and tear disease.

The Voltarol is a reasonable initial oral medicine to take in this situation and the glucosamine is fine to take. It also may help to wear a supportive splint when performing activities that place stress on the wrist. However, if the symptoms persist despite these treatments, it would be better for you to be seen for further evaluation and treatment. Depending on the findings on exam, it may help to perform a steroid injection into the wrist.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have wondered about carpal tunnel, but I do not have any trouble with my wrist. Will investigate this further,

Carpal tunnel syndrome may not have wrist symptoms when first presenting. It is good that you will seek further investigation.