Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my mother went into hospital 12 weeks ago to have a hip replacement

my mother went into hospital 12 weeks ago to have a hip replacement on arrival to the hospital she had a chest infection but they still went ahead with the op,. she is still in the hospital due to on going infections and confusions and now there telling us that she has dementia which she had no signs before going in .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Sorry to hear about your mother but do you have a specific question about all of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

was just wondering that having the op with a chest infection causes any of these side affects because she was driving and caring for herself before all of this ?:

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Martin--and we can continue after this if you'd like. First off, an elective hip replacement should never be done when there's any evidence of infection present in the patient. There's a risk of infecting the hip prosthesis in cases like that. As for the possible dementia, she may have had a stroke after the operation but anyone her age with ongoing infections in the hospital may exhibit signs of dementia that will clear once the infections are eradicated. I would assume she's had an MRI of the brain and a stroke workup and also that she's been seen by a neurologist for evaluation of her mental state. One other thing--if she is being medicated with sedatives or anti-anxiety medications, those in and of themselves can cause confusion
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you think we should ask the doctors can we bring her home to her own house for a few days to see will it help her

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That actually would be a great idea Martin if she's stable enough to come home--it may be that being home in a familiar environment with her family will clear up her confusion
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why does the confusion only appear in the evening

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's called sundowning Martin and we see it a lot with patients, especially ones in the ICU. Let me know how she does and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is sundowning apart of dementia and can this cause her to wet herself and the bed

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes it's a kind of dementia and yes that can happen with this. Again, if she can be brought home for a while I think she'll improve and not have these kinds of problems Martin
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for all your help and answers it help us so much

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Entirely my pleasure Martin but be sure to let me know how she does and again remember to rate my service to you