Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi, I am a 39 year old female in generally good health. Since

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 39 year old female in generally good health. Since 2011 I have been experiencing a flashing white light in one eye only (the middle of my left eye). I went to an optician who said all looked good. My doctor referred me to an Ophthalmic Surgeon who gave me the all clear. I then had an MRI and that thankfully was clear. I only notice the flashing white light at night/dimmed lighting and generally after I have walked up stairs, leaned over or lie down. The Consultant Neurologist discharged me once the MRI was clear.
Also in the past year (3 times since the beginning of 2013) I am having episodes of severe rotational vertigo. The episodes begin without warning and generally last no more than 12 to 24 hours. I cannot walk during this time, I will sweat profusely and will vomit repeatedly.
In addition, since the beginning of 2013, I have tinnitus most days and can often find it hard to hear and sometimes cannot tolerate too much noise or many noises at the one time. My doctor said that since the MRI was clear, it may be possible that I have Ménière's disease, however, she thinks I am too young for this. My doctor asked the Consultant Neurologist to view the scan again to check for an acoustic neuroma (this is because the vertigo only started after I saw the Neurologist). The Consultant said there was no evidence of a neuroma present.
My doctor said that once the MRI is clear there are no further investigations necessary.
I am concerned that my hearing maybe affected in the long term - is there anything I can do to prevent this and are any further investigation necessary in relation to the vertigo/menieres?
What about the flashing in my eye? Does this warrant any further investigation (note that the consultant neurologist had certain visual nerve tests completed too which were all clear - I dont remember the name of the tests but it involved me looking at patterns etc. on a screen).
The only medication I take or have taken since 2011 include aspirin, predisolone, eltroxin, pregnl, menupur and in the last two months lose dose Naltroxone (all via a fertility clinic as I have endometriosis and was trying to conceive).
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I think this is coming from your brain whatever it is
Things like multiple sclerosis come to mind
The only other test that could be done is a spinal tap.
That could show signs of MS that an MRI missed
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

Why would you think this is necessary? Is it because of the combination of issues I described? or, the flashing light that remains unexplained?

the combination of issues