Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

6 years ago I had a partial hysterectomy. Have now had a laprascopic

Customer Question

6 years ago I had a partial hysterectomy. Have now had a laprascopic surgery to remove my right ovary which had a cyst on and they also did a adhesiolysis they could not find my left ovary said it was either removed when had hysterectomy my doc said they said it may have shrunk! Am confused with what can happen they have not given me hrt but say I can go on if I get symptoms! How will I know if I need it or not as I left hospital with no info what so ever did not even know what I was able to do, how long recovery was? Please can you help/advise. Thank you. If
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off, if your left ovary is still there and functioning, it would be a simple matter to check your estrogen, progesterone, FSH, and LH levels in about three months. If those are normal for your age then the ovary still exists and is functioning and you don't need the HRT. If you start to have menopausal symptoms during that time, that's circumstantial evidence that either the ovary doesn't exist or it isn't functioning. As for recovery from your recent operation, you should be able to function normally but I'd advise against heavy lifting for six weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi one more thing I asked about menopause, am unsure of the exact symptoms

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hot flashes, mood swings, irregular or nonexistent periods, sometimes weight gain