Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Why do I get dreams that relate to myself as I was long, long

Why do I get dreams that relate to myself as I was long, long ago, when I am now 78 years old? They relate to how I felt way back then, and I awaken from them with an aura of self disgust which lasts too long for my liking
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--you don't have to be very specific but can you give me some idea about the content of your dreams?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vague memory is of partaking in a cricket match, and I was in a sulk because no one wanted me to bowl (or bat), but was stuck as an outfielder.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. How is your life at this time and do you have any problems with self esteem at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm a widower now, but my self esteem is fine these days. I am retired from a long and relatively successful life in the navy which taught me how to stand on my own two feet.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Michael, and we can continue after this if you'd like. I don't think there's anything serious going on here but if the dreams bother you I'd suggest you see a psychologist for an evaluation. It may be that lately you've had suppressed self-esteem problems that are now surfacing in your dreams. Many people have that experience and never realized there might be something under the surface. I don't think you need any medication for that but a short course of a sleeping aid like Valerian or Melatonin might help