Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Why do I get dreams that relate to myself as I was long, long

Why do I get dreams that relate to myself as I was long, long ago, when I am now 78 years old? They relate to how I felt way back then, and I awaken from them with an aura of self disgust which lasts too long for my liking
Hi--you don't have to be very specific but can you give me some idea about the content of your dreams?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vague memory is of partaking in a cricket match, and I was in a sulk because no one wanted me to bowl (or bat), but was stuck as an outfielder.

OK. How is your life at this time and do you have any problems with self esteem at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm a widower now, but my self esteem is fine these days. I am retired from a long and relatively successful life in the navy which taught me how to stand on my own two feet.

OK Michael, and we can continue after this if you'd like. I don't think there's anything serious going on here but if the dreams bother you I'd suggest you see a psychologist for an evaluation. It may be that lately you've had suppressed self-esteem problems that are now surfacing in your dreams. Many people have that experience and never realized there might be something under the surface. I don't think you need any medication for that but a short course of a sleeping aid like Valerian or Melatonin might help