Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

am yrs.old, Ive never enjoyed sport and always done sedentary

Customer Question

am 69 yrs.old, I've never enjoyed sport and always done sedentary type of occupations.
I smoked for 40 yrs. (not smoked for9 yrs.) I now weigh more than ever -92Kgs. and in the last year have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and c o p d. I have suffered from restless legs syndrome for nearly 15 years and chronic insomnia for longer than I can remember. I am constantly tired and worn out and feel incapable of doing anything physical
I'm even too tired to think sometimes. Any advise that you may have as to how to improve my life --- and those around me , would be much appreciated. Thank you. Ron Carpenter
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What evaluation has been done for these symptoms?
For example, have you had thyroid blood tests done?
Have you had a sleep study to look for sleep apnea?

You had posted a second question, so it appears that you may not have received my request for further information.
Please provide the informtion requested above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I've had a sleep study done at Harley St. = inconclusive but probably not sleep apnea. Had numerous blood tests over the years , Can't remember what for. Seen by Consultant Neurolagist about 6 yrs. ago. Now take tabs. but to little effect.I also take adalat and aspirin daily plus amatriptaline and diabetes tabs

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

It is certainly true that someone with chronic poor sleep, from any reason, can develop many different symptoms. Sleep is important to allow the body to recuperate from the daily physical stresses, and when that sleep does not occur, a wide variety of physical symptoms can occur. One night of poor sleep is usually not a problem, but ongoing nights of poor sleep will usually cause symptoms. It is common to feel tired and worn out, as well as develop chronic muscle pain and difficulty in performing exertion.

I ask about sleep apnea because it is the most common medical problem to cause chronic sleep disturbance and being overweight is the greatest risk factor for sleep apnea, so it is good that a sleep study was done.

Restless leg syndrome that is not well controlled also may cause a sufficient amount of sleep disturbance that it also could cause similar symptoms. If you are saying that the medicine that was prescribed by the Neurologist was for the restless leg syndrome and that it is not working well at controlling the problem, it would be appropriate to seek more additional treatment for the restless leg syndrome.

If the restless leg syndrome is well controlled, but you are continuing to have chronic insomnia, then the appropriate intervention would be to treat the insomnia.

It also would be important to exclude certain metabolic disorders, and thyroid disorders would be the most common. If your doctor has done numerous blood tests over the years, it is likely that it has included thyroid blood tests and other metabolic conditions, but if you can confirm this, it would assure that a complete evaluation has been done.

So, the key next step, if the restless leg syndrome is not well controlled, would be to achieve better control of that problem. If the restless leg syndrome is controlled, then there should be more aggressive treatment of the insomnia. It also would be reasonable to assure that a complete metabolic evaluation has been done.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

One other comment. If you would like to tell me the name and dose of the medicine used for the restless leg syndrome, then I can discuss what options may be available for treatment.