Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband presented to GP this pm with a rash on his ankles

Customer Question

My husband presented to GP this pm with a rash on his ankles which has become infected - surface pustules. GP advised to take sample at home and take immediately to AE for analysis.
My husband was discharged from hospital on Wednesday following a course of IV antibiotics for chest infection. Help! I am very worried about what this infected skin rash might be
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--would it be possible to post a photo of the rash on this page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry husband is delivering sample but it is site specific to his ankles and red and has surface pustules

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem Gill. And we can continue after this if you'd like. This sounds like a case of cellulitis--skin infection--and usually that's caused either by a strep or a staph infection. The culture that's being analyzed is a good idea to identify the bug and see what antibiotics would be most appropriate for it but I myself would have started him on Keflex or Augmentin in advance of the culture results.