Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

have been told it is hereditary I get a pain in my chest

have been told it is hereditary
I get a pain in my chest that goes from front to back it builds slowly until it is excruciating and I break into a sweat then after a while it slowly decreases I have had it about 10 times in the last 5 years but twice in the last 3 weeks is this caused by my hiatus hernia
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off, have you had a full cardiac workup for this? Can you explain what you mean by being told it's hereditary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a hospital consultant told me that my hiatus hernia was hereditory my mum had it and my elder brother had it my mother also died of oesophogeal tumor i have not had a cardiac workup

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Heather. Hiatal hernias can sometimes run in families but the vast majority of patients with a hiatal hernia have no history of anyone else in their family having one. Your description sounds like a reflux problem from the hernia but I might consider a different medication for this like Prilosec or Nexium That said, I would have you undergo a full cardiac workup just to make sure your symptoms aren't heart related