Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

lower leg tightness some time cold feet and burning feet

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is the coldness and burning felt over the entire foot or only a portion of the foot?
If only a portion, where is it felt?
How long have you been having these symptoms?
What, if any, chronic medical problems do you have?
What, if any, chronic medicines are you taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Taking Warfarin, perindiprol, rosavastatin

Had these symptoms since wearing eslatic stockins when \

having a bladder tumour removed in March 2014

If only a portion, where is it felt?
What is the problem for which you are taking the Coumadin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had blood clots after a Turp operation in December 2010. Treated with Heparin then put on warfarin and advised to stay on it.

Cold on top of feet. burning on sole of feet.

I have knotted muscles on the outer edge of my calf mucsles.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have had no reply from you from my last message at 07.34 hours.

Please advise, thanks

Thank you for the additional information. I'm sorry for the length of time that it takes to type a complete answer.

The pattern of symptoms that you describe is most typical for a peripheral neuropathy. Diseases that affect a specific nerve will typically only affect a portion of the foot, such as the inner or outer aspect of the nerve, whichever corresponds to the distribution of that particular nerve, and that would be true whether it is a problem that affect the nerves as they leave the spine or further down the leg. Since the burning is affecting the entire sole of the foot and the coldness the entire top of the foot, and this includes several nerve distributions, that is more typical for a neuropathy.

A peripheral neuropathy can be due to certain metabolic problems (most often from diabetes) but it also can be due to small blood vessel disease that is affecting the nerves, and this would be more likely in someone with risk factors for vascular disease, such as hypertension and high cholesterol.

The cold feeling and the knotted muscle can be related to a neuropathy but also could occur as a direct symptom related to poor blood supply.

At this point, it would be appropriate to seek further evaluation to confirm whether neuropathy is present, and this frequently involves consultation with a Neurologist who may also perform studies to assess nerve function. If it is confirmed that it is due to a peripheral neuropathy, there are several medicines that can be used to ease symptoms, but the most commonly used are gabapentin or pregabalin.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
And it is also pertinent to note that the exercise may affect the symptoms by stimulating blood flow into the leg.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.