Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a sore on my arm that I suspect may be a syphillis chancre

Customer Question

I have a sore on my arm that I suspect may be a syphillis chancre can i send a photo for review
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--sure--just post the photo on this page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I post a photo
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Either use the paper clip icon on this page your you can post it at Photobucket, Imageshack, or Snapfish and give me the link
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://s42.photobucket.com/user/Firepenguin86/library/Mobile%20Uploads
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Thanks--got it. How long have you had it, how did it first start out, is it tender, and why do you suspect a syphilitic chancre?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi noticed it a couple of days ago it is not tender and I had sex with a sex worker 9 days ago. I wore a condom but she bled I'm currently on pep as a precaution
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK and we can continue after this if you need to. It would be very unusual for a chancre to appear anywhere except on the penis--where the spirochetes actually make contact-- but it has been reported on arms and legs. Syphilis is very uncommon in the US but still it's possible to contract it. That looks more like a folliculitis--hair shaft infection--than a syphilitic chancre. If you haven't had VDRL and RPR tests run for syphilis you should since it's very easily treated with antibiotics, but I feel sure those tests will be negative on you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok can I just ask have you seen a chancre before in person ? And you say this is very likely a follicle infection
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have seen chancres before and this really doesn't look like one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I wasn't questioning your credibility I hope you realise. One further thing If
Like to add it has dark ring inside the border could this mean anything
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No offense taken at all. Actually that dark ring is why I said folliculitis--that's not at all characteristic of a syphilitic chancre
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you