Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I have had a small lump removed from my wrist a few weeks ago

Customer Question

I have had a small lump removed from my wrist a few weeks ago and have now had a letter saying "it showed a histyocytomafrom the excision site but the biopsy shows a desmoplastic intradermal naevus and I would recommend to remove the whole lesion". I don't understand the medical words here and would appreciate a translation in language that I can understand.
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 3 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello. The hisiocytoma (epitheliod histiocytoma) is generally a benign type of tumor

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

however there is some overlap between the pathology appearance of these benign tumors and other malignancies.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Desmoplasia is a fibrotic growth that is able to be seen under the microscope and with certain stains. This type of cellular growth usually only happens after an insult, i.e. in response to a cancer.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Basically there was a small mole (nevus) that had evoked a desmoplastic reaction from the skin included in the tissue they removed

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

So that finding alone means either hat they think the desmoplasia (bad reactive growth) was happening in reaction to the histiocytoma

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

or

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

to the nevus (mole) that happened to be in the tissue sample as well.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Regardless, they saw this fibrosis (desmoplasia) and suggest getting wider margins (taking more tissue) around the initial site of tissue removal.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That way, whatever the source of that desmoplastic reaction from your body is will be removed.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Does that make sense?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Or did I answer your question?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Do you need further explanation?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That sounds like an appropriate way to mangage this result

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I answer your question?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I answer your question?

JACUSTOMER-926vbknm- :

I'm reading and rereading and sending this on to my partner to read. Thank you so far

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok, I just saw you signing on and off

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

But I've answered your question? I will still stand by for any further advice you need.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Do you need any further help?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I provide good service?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I answer your question? Did I provide you good service?