Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

hi I have stopped drinking alcohol, 4 weeks ago, now im am

hi I have stopped drinking alcohol, 4 weeks ago, now im am staring to itch all over in the night,
I am getting only two hours sleep a night, just about doing my head in. my doctor is a very busy man and can you help me with out me contacting him if not I will contact him,
for your info, my gama was 949, now its down to 89. yes drinking every day for 35 years,
many thanks,
kev
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

How much did you used to drink

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

and are you completely done drinking alcohol, you haven't just tapered off

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Are you having any changes in the color of your skin?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

or the whites of your eyes?

Customer:

eyes always been white, I lost about 2 pints of blood and was I hospital for two days, they say it ewas down to my job pub landlord for 35 years drinking 10 pints a day, now my doctor and the doctor as done tests and we all agree that Friday and Saturday I go out and drink 4 pints a night at 3.6%, sunday till Friday I leave it alone and I have, but I just can not sleep.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And it has been going on like that for 4 weeks?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Do you feel these symptoms on the nights when you are agreed upon to drink? (Friday and Saturday)

Customer:

yes its my back and arms, now I have stopped my legs are the same.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

But does it happen worse on sundays through thursdays?

Customer:

no Sundays and Mondays I feel great. then until Friday I do slow down a great deal to be honest I feel like poo slow tired, until Friday,

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And it has been an entire 4 weeks since you made these changes? Have you followed the recommendation from your doctor truthfully?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I am surprised they didn't taper you off of the alcohol on a daily basis rather tahan allowing only 2 nights a week.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I'd have gone down a week at 3/4 your normal consumption and then another week at 1/2 (5 pints)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

and then go to 5 pints every other day

Customer:

yes my doc and a liver specialist from Leicester gen

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

so by 3 weeks you'd be at 1/4 the normal amt

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Have you had any imaging tests of your liver?

Customer:

im waiting for a think u call it a fiber some thing test on my liver

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I think you need to be tapered off with a benzodiazapine (the pill with equivalent effect on the brain as alcohol)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You may be having these itching and problems sleeping as a manifestation of anxiety from alcohol withdrawal

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Itching can also be a sign of liver disease as bilirubin (normal processed by the liver) builds up in your skin

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You can't go from drinking 10 pints per day 7 days a week to only 2 days per week. Those 5 days without could actually have given you a seizure from withdrawal. Alcohol is one of the very few drugs that can kill you by stopping that fast.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

you need to call up your physician or go to the er regarding a small dose of a benzodiazepine to help with your symptoms which can be tapered off over time just as your alcohol intake is being tapered off.

Customer:

I honestly feel that I need to stop, 56 and abused my body that long I lucky to be here, 2 days a week ok they have slowed me down, I want no days a week and am going to do it, I was very fit long time ago, speed skater water skier. Hockey. foot baller. now its my time would you suggest me stopping all the time or keep to what I have been told.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Keep what you've been told - but find out if they'll prescribe you a benzodiazepine for the days you aren't drinking

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

low dose even will help your withdrawal symptoms

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

and continue to taper off of the beer on the days you are drinking.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

the medication will be slowly decreased as well. You should have not gone 5 days without drinking without a medication to help

Customer:

thanks for your advice, I will be in touch if I have any more problems,

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Glad to help

Customer:

bye,

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Best wishes