Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Thank you Dr. Love, as requested, my daily medication is :Adalat

Thank you Dr. Love, as requested, my daily medication is :Adalat la 30. 30mg at breakfast time
Aspirin 75mg. daily. Pramipexole 180mcg 3 tabs. at night .Amitriptyline 10mg.2 at night
Metformin 500 one tab daily. The Restless leg syndrome is certainly not controlled, it is similar to St. Vitas Dance in as much as my whole body seems to spasm from involuntary muscle twitching.
It is debilitating in every way and Iam worn out and fed up .during the past couple of weeks I've also had a number of of dizzy terns during each day ,they only last a few seconds but they are un'nerving but perhaps they are only "Senior moments" I would appreciate your comments to set my mind at rest and to know that these difficulties can be sorted.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Do you have the ability to check your blood pressure and blood sugar during these episodes of dizziness?
If so, what are the blood pressure and blood sugar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

H

i Doctor, no I don't have the facilities to measure these area's. Sorry

Generally spea*****, *****ef dizzy spells that only last a few seconds are not worrisome. However, for someone on blood pressure and diabetes medicines, it is reasonable to check the blood pressure and blood sugar during an episode if possible. Of course, even if you had the equipment, any symptom that passes in a few seconds will have resolved by the time that you get the equipment, so the measurement will never be during an episode, but as quickly as is possible.

Since you do not have the ability to do this at home, it is not necessary to go out of your way to get it done, but if an episode happens in a location where it can be done, it would be good to do it.

As for the restless leg syndrome, the usual approach with any drug is to begin with a starting dose and adjust as needed for control of symptoms up to the maximum dose of the drug. You are already taking the maximum recommended dose of pramipexole for restless leg syndrome (higher doses may be used for other conditions). Consequently, the usual next step would be to try a medicine that works by a slightly different mechanism, such as Sinemet or Neupro.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So now that you know as much about my medical history as I'm able to furnish, what do you recommend that I do ? Would it be ethical for me to show my GP. a printout of our discussion ? I don't feel that I'm any further forward .

It would be appropriate to see whoever is managing the restless leg syndrome, and if that is your GP, that would be appropriate. It would be ethical to show the discussion to your doctor, but your GP would typically know what other steps can be taken for poorly controlled restless leg syndrome. If your GP does not know what other medicines could be used for restless leg syndrome that is not well controlled, it would probably be better to see a doctor that has more experience in treating the condition, such as a Neurologist.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.