Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My Partner has server Gallstones and is in constant pain.

My Partner has server Gallstones and is in constant pain. It seems that most pain killers only work for a short time and life is becoming unbearable for her. She had a scan Tuesday last week were the hospital said that she should be referred for an urgent Op. Our Doctor wrote a letter a few days ago. How long should we expect to wait for an NHS Op to remove the Gall Bladder? Surely there should be some form of priority if in constant pain. Please can you help?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Unless it is being used to treat a serious complication, such as cancer of the gallbladder, a cholecystectomy is not regarded as urgent surgery.

This means you may have to wait several months for surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should ask your GP about the estimated time for your surgery and request it to be done on a priority basis based on your symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But waiting time still is usually in months unfortunately due to the excessive number of patients on list.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards