Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a very dry mouth 24hrs a day.my tongue is thick and

I have a very dry mouth 24hrs a day.my tongue is thick and coated.I take 25mg.metformin
twice a day and 1 amitriptyline at night.can either of these be the cause?
the symptoms are very severe,my lips curl under and stick to my teeth,and all the tongue is dry and sore (especially the tip which is red and sore.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
You are very wise to suspect your medicine as one of your two medicines is absolutely the cause
The amitriptyline is the certain cause this. This is a common reaction of this drug
This drug has what is called "anti cholinergic" side effects. One of which is dry mouth
If you stop the drug it will go away
If you need something else at night to sleep try a low dose of a drug called trazodone. It works well with few side effects
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you! trazadone can I just ask my gp to change the tabs.over? is it a UK drug?

Yes you can ask to change over
yes it is a UK drug
sorry about the late reply