Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have widespread joint pain, all joints, no swelling, not

Customer Question

I have widespread joint pain, all joints, no swelling, not consistent, focus shifts. Only thing that works is to sleep and avoid use. Although if I engage rage I can still for a time be very strong and feel nothing. To be able to stand I must keep my weight around 70Kg or less, this figure drops with time, I am 1.9m and 54. Fibromyalgia has been suggested by a previous Dr. X-Rays show nothing unusual, blood tests are normal. ibuprofen & naproxen either do not work or not for very long, paracetamol just makes me feel a bit sick.
I am very flexible, can touch my forehead with both ankles, I have always used all of my strength and have lifted heavy items, being a full time carer picking up a heavy relative when needed.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what specific blood tests have you had for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far a I know everything, quite a few over several months, nothing.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Would that include an autoimmune panel with antinuclear antibody titer. rheumatoid factor, sed rate, and C reactive protein?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, rings a bell

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK-- do you know if those were normal and have you seen a rheumatologist for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Told they were normal, rheumatologist seen found nothing, simple examination, mentioned that I seemed weak as I wobbled, this was last October or November, I am getting worse. It can be hard to breath sometimes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Ian. Any MRI's of the spine or brain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK And we can continue after this. Fibromylalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion and there are no specific tests for it. While that might be the problem here I would get the MRI's to look for disk and spinal nerve problems. I would also do more specific testing for autoimmune disorders and check your EBV viral titer for chronic fatigue syndrome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your in the US? Could do with you over here in the UK. Letter to the doctor in UK?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes I'm in the US but you can print this page and give it to your doctor as my recommendations Ian