Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Dear Doctor, I am rather in extremis. I am taking treatment

Dear Doctor,
I am rather 'in extremis.' I am taking treatment for a parasite infection for which I have had to self medicate with Mebendazole. I have had serious problems over the past three years at intervals and went to a specialist but no matter how many samples I sent they came back negative for eggs, and after the first two stool tests I was nolonger taken seriously. However, I did have white blood cells in some samples (I had had rectal bleeding for ten or so months following a trip to Florence). A colonoscopy did not reveal a casue
This last week I had bloating, bad abdominal pain, gas, and an unusually large appetite,
and the past two days - white coating on stools (which I had during the bleeding episode)which looks like eggs. There hasn't been time and I have not been in a position to get samples. The pain got so bad I took the drugs I kept in the cupboard at the dose which treats larger worms (2 x twice a day for three days). I have taken the last dose several hours ago. The pain has been excrutiating at times and I get a feeling of a large thing moving through my intestines (as I have had a colonoscopy I know what that feels like). There is a biting pain when I eat at the base of the stomach on the left. When I am late to eat, the pain starts before eating. I do not have an ulcer. The pain was so intense as sudden jabs just earlier and I am afraid that this may be a tapeworm or just a bigger thing that is just being aggravated by the medication and may perforate something. There is vibrating feeling in my abdo now and referred pain down legs, back - depending where the thing is in the tract. I am really frightened - and need to be taken seriously. Could A and E do anything - like refer to gastroenterogy? Since getting positive samples is so tricky and this is so bad - should I request other tests? I really am in terrible pain. I am nearest to Worester Royal Hospital. I am concerned about being taken seriously here. This doesn't seem to be something most medics are familiar with.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
I think A and E would help
I would ask the gastro doctor about getting a capsule endoscopy. this is a camera pill that you swallow. It takes pictures all throughout the abdomen and you will be able to any problems throughout all the intestines.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I just looked up one of those. they seem to do this in private hospitals here, but not sure if on the NHS! I know a lot of people who have had ordinary coloscopies, but not this. Just in case this is not available to me - what else would you recommend for investigation? I am really worried because this pain is much much worse than ever before and about preforation etc. On patientUK website it only mentions Xrays and CT scans, with stool testing as first line, and testing for antibodies. I went to the London School of tropical Medicine two yeasr ago and they wouldn;t take me seriously at all after antibody test and two/three stool tests. I have feedback that this has happened to others. They have the only parasitologist and specialist lab in the UK.

By the way I do not understand how this site works. Am I paying for one off consultation? It seems to want me to do a free trial....

I would get a CT scan in this case
I'm sure they have capsule endoscopy though
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Please can you clarify my question re the site. Sorry I am in so much pain. Can't work it out.

I have paid just for a one off consultation? It did not seem to say I was signing up for an ongoing thing. I don't want that right now.

Yes this is just one Time
The UK site mentions only these tests but I'm sure they have capsule
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The site keeps asking me to pay for a subscription with a free trial, or longer. I don't want a rolling billing - I have no job because of all my health issues at the moment. It just came up with £36 consultation

Very confusing. Do I therefore need to cancel the subscription? This seems a bit mad as this didn;t seem to be upfront about the cost. Do I get a receipt?

Yes all you have to do is rate me positive then I can forward to customer service
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)