Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am on rigevidon full contraceptive pill as I get migranes

I am on rigevidon full contraceptive pill as I get migranes when I am
Due on my go told me to take 3 packs then a 7
Day break so I take 64 tablets. I haven't had any unsafe sex and finished my
Last pill last Thursday but still do not have a period is this a cause
For
Concern?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Generally speaking, this is not a concern.

The only question is whether you could be pregnant. The likelihood of pregnancy while taking an oral contraceptive pill is very low, but is not zero. If condoms were used during each sexual encounter, that can lower the risk further, but the oral contraceptive pills are far better at preventing pregnancy.

Even though the likelihood of pregnancy is low, it is still recommended that a woman on oral contraceptive pills check a pregnancy test whenever a period is missed.

The most likely cause of an absent period is a side effect to the oral contraceptive pill. Many women will notice that their periods are lighter on oral contraceptive pills and in a small percentage, the periods will be missed entirely. So, if a woman has an occasional missed period on oral contraceptive pills, it is typically from the pills and is not a concern, once pregnancy has been excluded. If a woman on oral contraceptive pills routinely is missing periods, then we may consider changing to a different pill, so that some period occurs to confirm that no pregnancy is present.

So, a missed period is generally due to the pills and is not a problem, but it is appropriate to check a pregnancy test to exclude the low likelihood of being pregnant.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.