Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Would you be able to come up with a diagnosis for the following?

Customer Question

Would you be able to come up with a diagnosis for the following? My sister has a problem/obsession/neuroticness with material things. I can only explain with examples:
- My dad pushed his hand on her leather sofa and his elbow on the arm of it to get up and she said he has wasted it. She thinks my mum and dad waste her flat. Note they are the only people who go in it as I would not step foot in it due to her problems. My mum said my dad is fine sitting on my leather sofa and I also sit with my feet up on it. She said my sofa is dearer and better quality. Not true. She is paranoid. She also makes them take their jackets off before going in her flat in case a zip hits her walls. She has lining paper and says it will tear it.
- No-one is allowed to walk on her laminate flooring with shoes on. She also said she has to be careful cleaning it as the top surface comes off. I've seen it and it is immaculate. She is seeing things.
- She says she doesn't have enough room in her flat and she leaves stuff in the landing. She has lots of room.
-She has been staying at my parents recently. She says she can't use their washing machine because it 'bobbles' things. It is absoloutely fine.
She has been told repeatedly this is not rational behaviour but her answer is that she can't afford to replace things as she is on he rown. Note she recently replaced 2 bedrooms carpets. One was a spare room carpet. The spare room is used as a wash room and she said the carpet was done when it absolutely was not. This has becomes worse in the last few years but has always been noticeable with her in her adulthood. It's also at it's peak now since her life in general is not going well.
Many Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like she has obscessive compulsive disorder.

Dr. David :

this a type of anxiety disorder.

Dr. David :

there are treatments for this

Dr. David :

but she has to be willing to see her doctor and be evaluated and be willing to take treatments.

Customer:

She has been unemployed for 18 months. The job centre wanted her to go on courses. She kicked up a fuss with my parents and said it's only 'druggies' who go on them. My dad sent her to the doctors as he coudln't feal with her issues and now she's going down the route of being signed off. She's not happy with that either and is blaming my dad.

Customer:

Sorry haven't finished. Won't be long!

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

she will be better at work once she gets her OCD treated.

Dr. David :

I hope the doctor doesn't sign off on her.

Dr. David :

they should be offering some treatments for her OCD.

Dr. David :

medications like SSRI or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors

Dr. David :

like zoloft or paxil

Dr. David :

which can help patients who have OCD disorder.

Dr. David :

see if you can go with her to her doctor's appointments

Dr. David :

and talk about this option for her.

Customer:

So she has stayed at their house for about 2 months now. In the last month she won't go back to her flat. My parents can hardly get out of their own house. They are both 69 and can't cope with her now. She has no friends and I don't have a relationship with her due to many past issues. She is about to lose her flat since my dad has been paying some of the bills the last 18 months and more so all of them the last couple months. It has to be sold now. My mum is about to have a nervous break down becuase my sister is saying to them constantly you never help me etc. etc. They have done so much for her. She took out an extra loan on her mortgage about 2 years ago as she was uneployed for 6 weeks. It was about 12-15 grand. Who does that just for being unemployed?My dad had gave her a big sum of money to buy her flat in the first place and keep her mortgage low so they feel sick about it all. The worse is she has used some of the money to buy new bedroom furniture/carpets and specifically they are dear. She did not need any of them. We have also looked in her wardobes and she had about 2-3 grand of clothes and bags from a department store from this year. So she has spent some of the money on thi. Bought designer hand bags. More worryingly she has bought 4-5 pairs of jeans which are different colours and 70 a time in a size 10. She is a 16. Same with other clothes. She is also telling my parents she shouldn't be hear any more. They cannot cope. She is 42. She won't take the ant-depressants the doctor gave her and won't go back to the doctors. She won't face up to things.

Customer:

She also hasn't left my parents house in the last month. She lives in my mum's nightshort and my mum's underwear and has one outfit.

Dr. David :

I am so sorry about her situation.

Dr. David :

that is so sad.

Dr. David :

they have to cut her off financially.

Dr. David :

she has to learn she has to take her medication

Dr. David :

she can't just keep spending your parents money

Dr. David :

she needs to get into a support group of some sort as well.

Dr. David :

she will most likely end up homeless or committed or sectioned into psychiatric hospital at some point.

Dr. David :

and hopefully at that point, she can be started on medications which can help calm down her OCD behavior.

Dr. David :

she could also have bipolar illness if she has severe swings in moods from manic to depressed moods as well.

Dr. David :

there is no easy fix for her situation if she is not willing to help herself.

Dr. David :

I wish there was an easy fix.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

I think she needs the attention of a psychiatric nurse first and foremost in my parents house. It's the quickest thing that you can get from the NHS. Do you agree? it has been suggested to my mum that she should go to my sister's doctor and speak to him. Initially the doctor was suspicious about them taking her the 1st time last month and just said she was low and wanted to see her on her own. When she went back obviously she didn't tell him exactly what's going on. Can my mum make an appointment with my sister's doctor? Is there anything else you suggest as she won't go herself? That's my last question. Thanks.

Dr. David :

yes. I agree.

Dr. David :

if she has an option for a psychiatric nurse to come out, I would take it.

Dr. David :

I would have your mom and sister go at the same time

Dr. David :

and have the mom take time out to speak to the doctor directly.

Dr. David :

and ask for a psychiatrist referral.

Dr. David :

if she won't go herself, your mom can try to call the doctor and make an appointment herself.

Dr. David :

and see if the doctor will be willing to make a referral to a psychiatrist.

Dr. David :

but your sister has to be willing to see a doctor and take medications.

Dr. David :

if she doesn't take her medicaitons, she will not get better.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and her.

Customer:

Thanks for your time. I will rate and finish.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below the chat box.

Dr. David :

thanks.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician