Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

i appear to have a bone spur in my throat. I is not sore but

i appear to have a bone spur in my throat.
I is not sore but i feel it when I swallow.
I can feel toe spur on one of my neck bones and it kind of creates a dry spot.any views?
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You need to see your primary care physician for a prescription for a barium swallow examination that a radiologist will perform upon you.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This is a series of xrays taken while you are swallowing some liquid barium. This shows not only the anatomy of your neck (any bony spurs) but also the functioning of your esophagus and whether or not those bony spurs are impacting your ability to swallow

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

In some cases these need to be removed, however this is not a simple procedure given their location. By "dry spot" do you mean that food gets stuck there?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If so, that sensation of difficulty swallowing there would not be due to decreased saliva production (the saliva is produced in your mouth and spreads down through your esophagus) but it is rather due to the food you swallow bumping up against that bony spur from the front of your vertebral bodies that projects forward and narrows the esophagus.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This will not resolve on its own and needs treatment if causing this much difficulty for you. You must have the Barium Swallow examination to be certain as to this being the problem prior to seeing a surgeon.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Customer:

no food does not get stuck but I can feel a light sensation when the food is going down.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That is still concerning for exactly the same things.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The sensation you feel is the food passing and pressing against the spur

Customer:

Its not to do with my oesophagus as feeling is higher in the throat before its gets near the oesophagus.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

At around your thyroid level?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

your adams apple?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

this is very likely the same thing - this happens anywhere along the neck vertebrae. Otherwise it can be a growth within the esophagus made of soft tissue. Both of which are properly evaluated with a barium swallow test.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

It will tell you if it is a bony spur pressing inward, a soft tissue growth within the esophagus/throat or a mechanical problem that your muscles and swallowing mechanism are not functioning problem.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Depending on which of those three causes it is then they would decide where to go from there, such as CT of the neck.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

A CT will not show the functioning and real-time passing of food from your mouth past this area you are having this sensation.

Customer:

i had 3 visits to a chiropractor in the past month dealing with my neck??

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

It is unlikely that the chiropractor did this to your neck.

Customer:

I can feel a sour off one of my neck bones near the adams apple?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

It would show up on the barium swallow xrays - The important thing to figure out is exactly how it is impacting your swallowing

Customer:

sorry I can feel a spur off one of my neck bones.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

These bony spurs happen over decades due to degenerative changes

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

so at 63 years old it is very likely you do have a bony spur

Customer:

its not a problem for swallowing but I can feel the swallow going over something.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes

Customer:

Could the spur be leaning against a nerve or something?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

it is the same thing - just different ends of the spectrum. Feeling it and having problems are on either end of the spectrum

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No it would not be leaning against a nerve. There are nerves in the neck, but vertebral bony spurs coming off that side of the vertebrae do not generally impinge nerves

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

It is pressing against the back of the throad

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

throat

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

that is why you have this sensation

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

the spur pushes against the back of the throat so that when you swallow the food also presses against the esophagus from the inside out and therefore the esophagus wall is squeezed by the food and by the bony spur, giving you that sensation.

Customer:

yes the feeling i have is against the back of my throat?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You need the barium swallow test

Customer:

thank you.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I provide good service?

Customer:

yes

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Best wishes