DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My American wife needs to get bupropion prescribed by a doctor

Customer Question

My American wife needs to get bupropion prescribed by a doctor to sort out her mental health problems. She is in a very bad place and has been refused the medication. She has mentioned suicide she doesn't want have to test a load of other drugs, an experience she went through before. She feels nobody is helping her.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I understand
But I am not sure what your question is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I get bupropion prescribed for my wife whos mental state is deteriorating when it has been refused her by the nhs doctor. This drug has made huge imrovements to her life before she moved here.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, you can not.
The doctor has to make that decision.
So, there are a number of strategies here.
A: put your observations and concerns in writing, send it to her GP, and ask that a copy go into her chart for future reference.
B: have her request a referral to a psychiatrist who will listen. Have her put this in writing.
C: if she is threatening suicide, the immediate answer is clear. Take her to A&E right now. There is no other valid solution. They will treat her, and let her be treated, and you can state your concerns there.
Make sense?
By the way there are literally dozens of treatment options. The fact that buproprion has worked does not make it the best medical choice.
On the other hand, the fact that it has worked should be taken into serious consideration by her doctor...and not ignored.
Is that your question?
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The strange thing is that the drug is prescribed as an aid to quitting smoking and is also listed as a drug to treat depression on the nhs website. The doctor emailed a doctor in the mental heatlth hospital. This took 4 weejs and the reply was no. If its prescribed for quitting smoking why the health and saftey on prescribing?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
In fact it has a good safety profile.
Under supervision, it is as safe as most of the other choices.
I can not second guess your doctors, but I would rapidly and without delay pursue the options mentioned above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok well I will bring this info with me to the doctors tomorrow when I take my wife. Can they refuse a psychiatrist?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
At their own peril.
If she is threatening suicide such a refusal would be legally foolish.
But your requests in writing...ask that a copy be placed in the chart for future reference.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.