Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

what does it mean when your red blood cells have low group

what does it mean when your red blood cells have low grouping
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 3 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

What test results did you have this result on. And why did you have these tests done?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Grouping traditionally refers to determining the specific "blood type" as in A, B, AB and O as well as a + or - designation as to certain antigens present

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This all has to do with compatability of blood for transfusions.

Customer:

I had a fasting blood test because I ws feeling so tired and not eating properly

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And what was your blood glucose level

Customer:

normal

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

For this low grouping result, were there any units of measurement?

Customer:

all the other tests were all right it was this the doctor said was low and another one was high which I didnt quite understand what she said but it began with a F.

Customer:

the doctor didnt say

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Was she discussing anemia? That perhaps your blood cells were low in size and hemoglobin concentration and that you needed to increase your folate supplementation?

Customer:

she didnt say

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Blood grouping is the term that referrs to Blood types as I described above. Given that you were tired and not eating properly they were most likely concerned about anemia (either low number of blood cell, small blood cells or blood cells without enough hemoglobin inside of them)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did she place you on any medication or supplementation?

Customer:

no

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

What did she say she was going to do about your abnormal results?

Customer:

she said to see how I go and if I dont inprove to go back

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

From the symptoms that prompted you having the test and her reaction to the results, I think you may have a mild anemia as my best assumption from the things you have told me. If you do not improve she would probably start you on either an iron supplementation or folic acid supplementation or both. You mentioned something beginning with an "F" so that most likely was folate she was talking about.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Folic acid supplementation is fairly benign to do - most multivitamins have adequate folic acid in them and are essential, especially if you are not eating well.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Supplementing iron if you are deficient can be more dangerous as taking too much can harm the liver and therefore physician supervision is recommended before starting any iron replenishment.

Customer:

So what should I do now

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I would call her up and see if she wishes for you to take a multivitamin with folate and/or additional folic acid supplement tablets (available over the counter)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Also ask if she was planning on starting you on an iron supplement, however I would first suspect she was thinking about or plans on starting you on a folic acid supplementation.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Does that sound like something reasonable you can do?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I provide good service?

Customer:

Yes the service was very good, I think I will make an appointment with another doctor,I think the one I saw might have been a locum as I have not seen her at my surgery before

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok, that may be why she was apprehensive about making changes and wanted you to see your normal doctor for that.

Customer:

Thank you if I have any problems in the future I will contact you again

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I'd be more than happy to discuss this and other things with you