Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I hope you can help me. I have had very light periods for

I hope you can help me.
I have had very light periods for the last couple of months - next to nothing and this monring I had a big clot and it covered 2 sanitary towels. I have been tested for cancer and all the tests came back clear.
My mother had the same symptoms when she was the same age that I am now so I am wondering if I am going through it as I have all the symptoms.
My GP tried to do a smear test on me to check this but as I have never been sexually active and never had one (apart from when I was under anaesthetic for an operation) this was very uncomfortable and painful.
I have no pain.
Please advise
Maria
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

standing by

Thanks for this question Maria
If your mother went through menopause at this age, then it is very likely that is what is happening to you
There are a few other things to consider
1)thyroid dysfunction. If your thyroid is off, that can cause abnormal periods
2)abnormalities with the uterus like fibroids. Fibroids are benign growths on the uterus that can cause irregular menstrual periods
If you haven't had them yet, I would get a thyroid blood test and a pelvic ultrasound to look at the uterus and ovaries.
That would be the next step
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)