Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Was diagnosed with Herpes Type I but appearing on genitals

Was diagnosed with Herpes Type I but appearing on genitals after 1 episode of sex with new partner. He said he had gotten tested and was confirmed Tpe I . 18mths later and still with same partner have bad episode of genital herpes (much worse then episode I!) and test confirms Type II.Question is it poss to have caught 1 and now II from this same partner or has he now contracted Type II and passed it to me. Confused. Can he always have had both types or has he been with someone else and has now given me Tpe II?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Assuming that he was truthful about being negative for HSV 2 about a year and a half ago and he's been your only partner since, then he must have contracted the HSV 2 after he was tested and it would have had to have been contracted by another partner of his.