Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello I have a question, I am 30 years old now and I have

Hello I have a question,
I am 30 years old now and I have a light patch of hair on my chest. I do have a significant amount of hair follicles on my chest but the hairs are so short and therefore do not give it thickness It was like this 5-6 years ago as well and I was hoping by now it would have grown thicker, but it has not. I feel that a hairy chest goes with me as a person and I have been looking for something that will increase my chest hair or make the hairs on my chest grow longer, I have tried Eucalyptus oil, but it has not really helped that significantly. Will shaving my chest hair help it grow back thicker? Also I was going to try rubbing Rogaine on my chest as that has been clinically proven to increase hair growth, but I just thought I'd talk to you before I did it in case there were any risks. Or is there any other hair growth tonic I can use?
Another thing - I think I may be suffering from low testosterone, since I appear to have slight man breasts. I thought this was a reason of me being too fat, but I am only slightly overweight. But now I think it may also be a case of gynacomesia, Is there any way to tell I am suffering from low testosterone at all, because I think this may be due to my manboobs and my thin chest hair. However, I have been going to the gym and losing weight, but I can't see any significant reduction in my man boobs, just slight reduction, well, it also is difficult for me finding time to go to the gym 5 times a week.
Can you please provide your view on any way I can get rid of my man boobs and grow thicker chest hair. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns.
Thin hair development can be suggestive of hormonal problem.
and being obese can affect the testosterone level.
fat cells are known to produce estrogen and that can be a problem interfring with testosterone activities.
Gynecomastia can be a symptom of testosterone deficiency.
Ofcourse it can also be caused by the excess fat tissue deposition.
Also thyroid gland problem can cause similar symptoms.
Hence, serum testosterone, estrogen, TSH, LH, and FSH levels should be checked.
Also if your testicles are smaller than normal, that may suggest genetic problem like Klinefelter's syndrome.
Hence, an endocrinologist should be consultd with.
No hair tonic is proven to work.
Underlying cause should be treated.
In case of testosterone or thyroid problem, hormone replacement therapy will help.
Also we can reduce excess estrogen in th body by aromatase inhibitors like Letrozole or anastrozole.
So there are plenty of options.
Rogaine solution should help with thicker hair growth but does not address the unerlying hormonal problem.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/