Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

my inner ear keeps bleeding 3-4 times this week but there has

my inner ear keeps bleeding 3-4 times this week but there has been no trauma to the ear
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Have you noticed a decrease in hearing in that ear?

Customer:

ive been a bit worried about my hearing for a while and my doctor has referred my for a hearing test but am still waiting

Dr Uzair :

Is there any pain in the ear?

Customer:

no

Dr Uzair :

Any itching in the ear?

Customer:

I assume completely unrelated but I do suffer with inter cranal hyper tension. not itching as suchbut it does feel blocked

Dr Uzair :

Do you or have you had sinus issues/problems?

Customer:

no never

Dr Uzair :

Have you had the ear examined?

Customer:

no

Dr Uzair :

The ear can be divided in to three parts, the outer ear, the middle ear (starting behind the ear drum) and the inner ear which consists of the small bones and the cochlea which maintains balance and hearing.

Dr Uzair :

The inner ear rarely bleeds and if there is any problem in the inner ear it results in loss of balance and vertigo (dizziness or a sensation of spinning).

Dr Uzair :

It is mostly the middle ear and the outer ear that bleeds and the bleeding comes through the meatus of the ear (opening of the ear).

Dr Uzair :

This can be due to two things which seem likely in your case.

Dr Uzair :

Either a chronic otitis media (a middle ear infection) that has caused a perforation in the ear drum causing decrease in hearing and bleeding and discharge.

Dr Uzair :

Or this can be due to wax impaction and/or a cholesteatoma.

Dr Uzair :

Wax impaction can cause decrease in hearing and a sense of blockage of the ear and cause discharge and bleeding from the outer ear skin.

Dr Uzair :

A cholesteatoma is an over growth of skin inside the outer ear also known as otitis externa, this can cause the same symptoms you mention.

Dr Uzair :

The best diagnostic will be to get the ear examined with an Otoscope (an instrument) with which the doctor can visualize the outer and the middle ear.

Dr Uzair :

Fortunately, all of these conditions are treatable and do not cause any permanent disability.

Customer:

ok thankyou for your speedy response to my question. I will make an appointment with my gp

Dr Uzair :

My pleasure and that will be the best course of action.