Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I suffer from hypothyroidism and am on levothyroxine 125 mcg

I suffer from hypothyroidism and am on levothyroxine 125 mcg daily. I was advised to take them at night, which I have done but now my partner has found information to have them half an hour before breakfast and preferably with milk. I wonder if you could advise me on the correct regime. Also, is it advised not to take alcohol. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--it's supposed to be taken on an empty stomach and usually either an hour before or an hour after breakfast but no problem really with taking it at bedtime at least an hour after last eating. The milk part is wrong--that would only slow down its absorption.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you but you didn't answer question about alcohol.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about that. As long as no alcohol is drunk within and hour before or after the pill, no problem