Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 73 years old and wonder about stopping HRT my Doctor wants

I am 73 years old and wonder about stopping HRT my Doctor wants me to but then tells me of all the things that will happen to me
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Why was the HRT started in the first place?
Since how long are you on this?
Why does he want you to stop?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had an hysterectomy at age 40 and was advised HRT to help any depression and have had HRT patches since

Because of my age

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I notice that you have opted out the other expert.

Your doctor is following the current recommendations for the use of HRT, but actually, your doctor when you were age 40 was following the recommendations that were available at that time.

For many years, there were studies performed over short periods of time that indicated that there were many potential health benefits from oestrogen replacement, and many women were placed on oestrogens after a hysterectomy consistent with the evidence that was available at that time. It was only many years later that larger studies were done that followed women for a longer period of time that indicated that there were significant health risks with oestrogen replacement, primarily in terms of breast cancer risk and heart disease risk. Since the baseline risk for both of these conditions increases with age, the risk of oestrogen replacement is also greater in an older women compared to a woman that has just gone through menopause.

The current recommendation is that HRT should only be done for a short period of time to help relieve significant symptoms related to onset of menopause and that it should not be continued indefinitely. So, that also means that it is recommended that for women of your age that are taking HRT, it should be stopped.

It is true that you may now develop menopausal symptoms that have been suppressed by the use of the HRT over the years, but they will typically be of less severity than would have been present at the time of the hysterectomy. All of these symptoms, though, may be very uncomfortable, but they are not potentially life threatening, while continuing the HRT increases the risk for certain diseases that are potentially life threatening, which is why it is recommended that the HRT be stopped.

So, your doctor is correct in advising stopping the HRT, and although there are potential symptoms associated with stopping the HRT, these are not as serious as the risks associated with continuing the HRT.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.