Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

i had an operation and treatment for brain and spinal cancer

i had an operation and treatment for brain and spinal cancer in 2010 and i have been recovering well since 2011 but in the past 6 months i havent been feeling great, i am very sore all over my body especially my lower back, hips and upper legs, i get a tingling feeling in my lower legs i often get cramp in my toes, i am extremely tired all the time but cant seem to sleep and if i do manage to sleep i wake up really stiff and still tired. my balance is getting even worse than it was and although i am on tablets for my depression which were helping now arent and i have more bad days than go. i had an MRI 5 months ago and everything was ok. i am unable to work as i don't know from day to day if i am going to manage. i am on strong painkillers but it doesnt ease the pain. my GP is cant seem to explain it and just tells me to rest but i cant i am scared incase the cancer is back can you help or suggest what i could do please.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what specifically was the operation you had and what was the MRI of--what part/parts of your body?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it removed 70% of a brain tumour. the MRI was a full body scan and head scan

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Linzi. Has your doctor run blood tests to see what may be going on here and, if so, what were they?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he hasnt run blood tests

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Linzi, and we can continue after this if you'd like. Here are the tests I would run on you--thyroid function panel, serum AM and PM cortisol levels, an autoimmune panel, an EBV viral titer, vitmin D and B12 levels, magnesium levels, and, although I doubt this is the problem, heavy metal (lead and mercury) levels to check for toxicity. While I can't give you an exact cause of your symptoms, low thyroid, low cortisol, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, vitamin deficiencies, and an autoimmune disorder as in lupus or rheumatoid arthritis are all areas I would consider