Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

For the last 2 weeks Ive been feeling increased pressure in

Customer Question

For the last 2 weeks I've been feeling increased pressure in my head and headaches and facial pressure over the bridge of my nose, my upper set of my teeth and around my eyes. My face is not tender and I've not got a runny nose? I've been on antibiotics but it's not clearing up? The headaches aren't severe like migraines but they're not responding well to analgesia. they start in my face like over my nose and around my eyes the spread to my head. no nausea or vomiting. My ears keep popping too. I'm starting to get really worried that this is something more serious like a brain tumour? Headaches are so unusual for me, it's so difficult to get an appointment with my GP, please help
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Have you had sinus issues previously?

Customer:

No never

Dr Uzair :

Are you on any medication?

Customer:

Im currently taking augmenting but it doesn't seem to improve

Dr Uzair :

Do you have a post nasal drip?

Customer:

whats that?

Dr Uzair :

Do you feel fluid trickling down at the back of your throat?

Customer:

not really

Dr Uzair :

Okay. Is this a dull aching pain or a sharp pain?

Customer:

dull

Dr Uzair :

Nasal congestion or blocked nose?

Customer:

congestion but not like a cold, its not loose. theres no nasal discharge at all. it feel rigid like blocked

Dr Uzair :

Alright, do you have a fever?

Customer:

no

Dr Uzair :

Alright, nausea or vomiting?

Customer:

no

Dr Uzair :

Okay, this does not seem to be an acute infection.

Dr Uzair :

This does not sound like a brain tumor either so rest assured.

Customer:

maybe the odd bout of nausea, nothing that lasts

Dr Uzair :

This is more likely to be chronic sinusitis. The symptoms are consistent with it.

Customer:

even without nasal discharge?

Dr Uzair :

Blocked nose - not a runny nose, ears popping and dull headache in the sinus area are all symptoms of chronic sinusitis.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, nasal discharge is a problem in flu. Not in sinusitis. There may be some discharge in acute sinusitis but in chronic sinusitis, the sinuses get blocked.

Dr Uzair :

This causes a pressure feeling in the mid face - maxillary sinus area and the root of the nose - frontal and ethmoidal sinus areas.

Dr Uzair :

This can lead to headaches. Changes of pressures in the eutachian tubes can cause ears to pop

Dr Uzair :

Since, this is not an acute infection, antibiotics will be of little help.

Customer:

yes this is where i'm feel most the pressure, over the bridge of my nose and near my temples

Dr Uzair :

The best thing to do is to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. S/he will examine the ears, nose and throat, perform an endoscopy of the nose and visualize the sinuses as well.

Customer:

and lots of pressure when i bend down in my face

Dr Uzair :

If there is blockade, then it can be relieved by office interventions.

Customer:

Blockage?I've been so panicked about brain tumours that i've convinced myself it is one. Are primary brain tumour in someone my age common?

Dr Uzair :

There is no age distinction when it comes to tumors in general.

Dr Uzair :

But the symptoms you have - I wouldn't keep tumors in my differential diagnosis.

Dr Uzair :

Generally, Brain tumors have sharp headaches, weight loss, loss of balance and dizziness, loss of appetite, fatigue and area specific symptoms.

Dr Uzair :

For now you should start on an anti allergic medication and OTC decongestant medication both oral and nasal sprays.

Dr Uzair :

Steam inhalations with menthol crystals thrice daily.

Dr Uzair :

These will provide relief of symptoms but for a more specific treatment you should see an ENT.

Customer:

Ok i'll try. its been very difficult to get an appointment with my GP who would need to make the referral. Would this clear up on its own? i have had some blood work done which was all normal. Would my inflammations markers be raised if it were chronic sinusitis? Would my bloods show abnormalities if it were a tumour?

Dr Uzair :

No, blood work does not show anything with chronic sinusitis. A CT scan or a nasendoscopy is mandatory. Chronic sinusitis usually does not clear up on its own, symptomatic relief can be achieved for a while but for a permanent treatment, an ENT will be warranted. General and non specific blood work does not show anything with brain tumors either. But really, you do not need to worry about a brain tumor.

Customer:

Ok thanks you i will try and contact my gp again and try some of the remedies. is it usual for analgesia to not be very helpful? Also in the general population it is my understanding the most brain tumours are secondary. Are primary brain tumours quite rare? I not had cancer

Dr Uzair :

Brain tumors are indeed very rare and secondary tumors usually stem from the breast, which would be evident before the brain tumor. Analgesia is not helpful because this is a chronic condition. Anxiety can worsen the situation so, try to relax and do not jump to conclusions before your doctor.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Feel better soon and best wishes.

Customer:

Ok i will try. Thank you