Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I have been diagnosed with Polymyositis and also Non Specific

Hi, I have been diagnosed with Polymyositis and also Non Specific Intersitial Pneumomtis, I have just started treatment yesterday with high dose steroids for 6 weeks and and other medication what is the prognosis for this and life expectany, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Most people with these conditions respond well to medicine and have a favorable prognosis and no adverse effect on life expectancy. However, there are some people with more severe disease that may have a worse prognosis, particularly for the interstitial pneumonitis.

So the issue is not solely what conditions are present but the severity of the conditions, particularly the interstitial pneumonitis.
How are these conditions affecting you?
Do you have the results of the studies that indicated the presence of the interstitial pneumonitis, which also may indicate the severity of the condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am just awaiting the confirmation letter and I am having the chest respiratory lung function done today. I had breast cancer last July and after a lumpectomy had chemotherapy FEC-T and radiotherapy. This finished in February and these symptoms started a month after, so has taken this long to be diagnosed.
In the situation that you describe, the odds are very great that these will respond well to medicines and have both a favourable prognosis and no adverse effect on life expectancy.

Since this has had a relatively onset (in March), then it is unlikely that it has progressed to a severe stage that will not respond well to steroids. The pulmonary function tests are the tests that will clarify the severity of the dysfunction associated with the condition. The other issue that may affect prognosis is whether there is any scarring or fibrosis of the lungs in response to the inflammation. With relatively recent onset, it is unlikely that there is significant scarring or fibrosis, so also typically a favourable prognosis.

So, it is most likely that there will be a good prognosis and no adverse effect on life expectancy.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I have had a CT scan and it is showing scarring on the lungs, obviously this is irreparable, I am seeing my Oncologist Tuesday 2nd September to discuss the results further and will be back in touch after this appointment thank you. ***** find anything further out today I will let you know, thank you. ***** has already told me that he thinks that the damage will be due to the scarring. Also that I will have to have a further more detailed scan and a lung biopsy, this is to rule out secondary cancer on the lungs. Although they have confirmed that it is not showing signs of cancer they will do the final testing to be 100 per cent certain, but fully expect it to be negative.
If there is scarring, then that would typically be called more than just a pneumonitis, usually called pulmonary fibrosis. The prognosis from pulmonary fibrosis would depend upon the severity of the fibrosis and the extent to which it is restricting lung function, which would be seen by the pulmonary function test.