Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am on a seven day course of double antibiotics, calvepen

Customer Question

I am on a seven day course of double antibiotics, calvepen 666mg, and flucloxacillin 500mg. I am on the 7th day of the course, and have 4 tablets left to take. I have noticed a decrease in my urination flow in the last 2 days, is this to be concerned about, and should I contact my doctor immediately? I am worried, as I normally have very good urination output.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What is the infection for which you were prescribed the antibiotics?
Are the symptoms of the infection improving with the antibiotics?
Do you know whether your weight has increased or decreased over the last week?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My infection is cellulitis in my leg, and yes, it has healed up now, thank God, but I am concerned about my urination flow, I fell I want to urinate, and then only a very small amount of urine comes out, unlike normal, when I have very good urination outflow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, my weight has stayed the same over the last week
Thank you for the additional information.

When there is a decrease in urination, there are a couple of possible concerns.

The most common reason for a decrease in urine output is because of being low in fluid and the kidneys are try to hold onto fluids. This can happen during an infection because of decreased fluid intake because the person does not feel well, from increased fluid loss by other mechanisms, such as from a fever, or from pooling of fluids in locations outside the blood stream.

It is also possible that decreased urine volume could be due to kidney dysfunction related to the infection. This would be the problem that would be the greatest concern.

I ask about the weight, because significant kidney dysfunction causing decreased urine volume will typically also cause an increase in weight because of accumulated fluid that cannot be cleared from the body.

At this point, since there is not an increase in weight, it would be OK to first try to increase fluid intake to see if the urine volume increases. If you drink about a litre of fluids over the next half hour to an hour and this leads to an increased urine volume, then that would be a sign that more fluid intake is needed, and you can continue this without being seen. However, if a short-term increase in fluid intake does not lead to an increase in urine volume, then it would be appropriate to contact your physician.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your helpful advice.
You're welcome.