How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr S.A.Alam Your Own Question
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4470
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr S.A.Alam is online now

I was making a meal today. The container says microwaveable

Resolved Question:

I was making a meal today. The container says microwaveable and I heated it in the microwave. The container is aluminium.I did not realise that there was still part of the label on the bottom of the container. It is one of those sticker labels used on most items with inks and other plastics. What seems to have happened is that the label burnt and burnt a hole right through the container.I did not realise until about 5 or 6 mouthfulls that the lasagne seemed to have a 'burnt plastic' smell. I threw it out, but there was about a one centimetre hoel burnt into the bottom of the meal.I am now worried that I have consumed either traces of aluminium or most likely burnt chemicals from the label. My skin seems to be very mildly irritated from the vapor of the burnt plastic smell.I am considering going to a doctor just for advice.Please advise me.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.
Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you have any symptoms ?

Customer:

Right now some very mild irritation on skin of face, just in a small area, and minor irritation on scalp, I think from the vapor coming from the microwave, burnt plastic smell

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you have nausea ? vomiting ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

stomach burning ?

Customer:

At the moment, no such symptoms, I ate the meal about 30 minutes ago

Dr S.A.Alam :

Well, regarding aluminium toxicity it is a long term problem and occurs in people on hemodialysis mostly. Acute intoxication is very very rare.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Toxic effects are dependent upon the amount of metal ingested, entry rate, tissue distribution, concentration achieved, and excretion rate. Mechanisms of toxicity include inhibition of enzyme activity and protein synthesis, alterations in nucleic acid function, and changes in cell membrane permeability.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Its toxicity is more likely if you have taken a large amount of aluminium over longer period of time.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Common if people who have kidney dysfunction.

Customer:

unfortunately I cannot give more detailed about the plastics that combusted on the label, which definitely contaminated the food i ate, all i know is that there was that telltale awful burnt plastic smell from the food

Dr S.A.Alam :

So i think these symptoms you are having are due to plastic fumes inhalation.

Customer:

what should i do?

Dr S.A.Alam :

In most cases this plastic inhalation toxicity is temporary and goes away in few hours. Signs and symptoms that mandate a clinical examination are

Dr S.A.Alam :

problems in breathing, coughing, chest pain, swelling of tongue or lips.

Dr S.A.Alam :

rash on skin

Dr S.A.Alam :

itching over skin.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any such symptoms mean that there is a possible allergic reaction and needs examination and treatment.

Customer:

Is it the same for eating food that was contaminated by the combusted plastic? wait and see? if no symptoms, not to worry?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes, very true.. if no warning symptoms that i have mentioned then it is not serious.

Dr S.A.Alam :

i hope chat is helping ?

Customer:

yes, I am just worried that I have certainly ingested carcinogenic substances but I suppose there is nothing I can do about that now

Dr S.A.Alam :

Carcinogenic agents do not cause cancer in one sitting, it takes a long term exposure over many years to cause such effects. like people working in plastic factories

Dr S.A.Alam :

they are at risk while one time exposure is not

Dr S.A.Alam :

You should go out i garden and take deep breaths of fresh air to push out the bad air.

Customer:

ok I will have a shower also, thank you doctor

Dr S.A.Alam :

It is the simplest way to exhale the bad air.

Dr S.A.Alam :

thats good.

Dr S.A.Alam :

you have questions ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

I hope chat was helpful.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do rate my answer if no further questions.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You can always come back on this chat for more questions using the same link.

Dr S.A.Alam :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/8mta3-making-meal-today-container-says-microwaveable.html?src=pql&sso=1

Dr S.A.Alam :

as above.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Dr S.A.Alam :

Welcome and take care.

Dr S.A.Alam and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you