Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was told I had a hiatues hernia but i have looked at all

I was told I had a hiatues hernia but i have looked at all the symptoms but i dont really feel i fit ifeel sick nearly all the time the first meal of the day is the worst i frequently feel sick faint and light headed but i dont get heatburn my only digestive problem has been wind.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long have you been having these symptoms?
Was a test done to establish the diagnosis of a hiatal hernia?
Has any other evaluation been done for these symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had this about 9 months the docter sent me for a scan, blood tests they came back clear i then had a barium meal scan this showed acid reflux i take omeprazole tablets 2 a day i am on the list for a magic eye scan but this problem is interfering with my everyday living.

Was the first scan an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder?
Did the barium meal also show the hiatal hernia?
Have you noticed any improvement in symptoms with the omeprazole?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My dr said after looking at the barium scan i had the hiatues hernia not really any difference taking the tablets to the best of my knowledge the first scan was an ultra sound but i am not really sure

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

First, if there was hiatal hernia seen on the barium meal test, then there is no doubt that it is present. However, it may not be the cause of any symptoms. A large number of people will have a hiatal hernia that never causes symptoms.

It also is not surprising that a hiatal hernia is present, as they become increasingly common with age, and most people in their 70s have a hiatal hernia when checked.

So, the question is not whether you have a hiatal hernia, but whether the symptoms that you are having could be due to the hiatal hernia.

If a hiatal hernia is causing a person to feel sick, it would usually because of acid reflux. Acid reflux can occur in people without a hiatal hernia, but a hiatal hernia can increase the risk of developing acid reflux. It is true that the most common symptom of acid reflux is heartburn, but there are a fair number of people that get other symptoms without heartburn from acid reflux. In your case, since the barium meal test showed acid reflux, you are having acid reflux, but that does not prove that it is the cause of your symptoms.

The other issue would be that there has been an appropriate evaluation to exclude other possible causes of your symptoms. If the ultrasound was done of the liver and gallbladder and the blood tests included tests of the liver and pancreas, this would exclude the other common causes of feeling sick. Therefore, if this other evaluation was negative, it is reasonable to deduce that the acid reflux associated with the hiatal hernia is the cause of your symptoms. If the omeprazole is not providing any improvement in symptoms, there are a couple of options. One option would be to use a higher dose of the omeprazole. It also may help to augment the omeprazole with the use of a liquid antacid several times per day. It also would be reasonable to try raising the head of your bed. Many people with acid reflux notice greater symptoms in the morning, and this is apparently due to increased acid reflux that occurs when lying down. Placing 6 inch/15 cm blocks under the feet at the head of the bed can help acid reflux. Sleeping on extra pillows is not as effective, because it causes the body to bend at the middle, which can increase reflux. Raising the head of the bed will keep the body straight, but at an angle to decrease the amount of reflux. It also may help to use a short course of domperidone, although this medicine is typically not used for long-term management.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.