Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

2 weeks ago I had a terrible headache that lasted for hours,

Customer Question

2 weeks ago I had a terrible headache that lasted for hours, since the my head has felt foggy and light headed. I have been experiencing occasional headaches and pressure around my eyes and bridge of my nose and my ears keep popping. My nose feels blocked but not like when you have a cold and my nose isn't runny. I thought perhaps it could be sinus related but I've never had a sinus problem before and I would have thought it would have cleared up by now. I've tried over the counter remedies such as decongestants and nasal sprays but nothing helps.Headaches aren't usual for me and I'm starting to worry that its something sinister causing it. Additionally I have been experiencing twitching, in my arms and legs, like a little muscle spasm that you can see, kind of like an eyelid twitch. Could it be related? I read that twitching is a type of seizure and that all of these things could be caused by a brain tumour and now I'm really scared. i have to wait another week to see my GP, please help
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The symptoms that you are mentioning point to an upper respiratory infection

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Most likely either sinusitis or pharyngitis. The pain around your eyes and the bridge of the nose and the ears keep popping goes more in favour of a sinus infection.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The muscle twitching that you are having could most likely be related to the severe anxiety that you are experiencing.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that it is related to your current infection that you are having.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is very unlikely to be anything serious.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

I've tried a course of augmentin for a week and it hasn't helped. I'm worried because its not clearing up. Headaches are unusual for me. My nose is quite blocked but i'm not snotty. I've been quite light headed too

Customer:

My face is not tender to touch just pressure especially around the bridge of my nose

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Quite often the bugs nowadays are resistant to augmentin. Also it can take up to two weeks to settle completely if it's a viral infection for which an antibiotic will not help.

Customer:

it has been 2 weeks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There are a few sinuses in our skull. one each below each eye and one each above each eye.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So sinus infection can present with a variety of presentations.

Customer:

what can i do now? nothing helps I've tried nasal sprays and decongestant and anti inflammatory meds. This is why I'm worried its a brain tumour

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is not a brain tumor

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it were a brain tumour you would have had weakness in your arm or leg or other parts of your body.

Customer:

no I'm not experiencing this

Customer:

still i would have thought a virus would have cleared by now?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, you should be seen and have your antibiotic changed

Dr. Shahzad MD :

most likely your bug was resistant to augmentin

Customer:

ok ill wait for another appointment

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I assure you that this is not a brain tumour.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

no thank you for your time

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards

Customer:

sorry did i mention daily headache

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes you did

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Kindest Regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine