Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I broke a toe beside small toe approx. three weeks ago. I had

I broke a toe beside small toe approx. three weeks ago. I had thought it was starting to settle down, but for the last 3 to 4 days I have noticed an increase in pain. Toe is swollen and feels stiff, hot to touch, skin is also looking slightly discoloured. Also jabbing pains going through the toe. Should I go back to hospital to have this checked.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am going to address your primary concerns and later you can ask anything you want. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. The symptoms you have mentioned are indicative of an infection of the bone called osteomyelitis. It can be something not related to fracture as well like an attack of gout etc but this possibility is quite remote. The most likely possibility seems to be bone infection. Yes you should go to hospital and ideally you should go as early as possible to get this checked. Best doctor to see is an orthopaedic surgeon but if it is not possible then at least your GP should check this soon. You have rightly started taking pain killers, continue them till you get this checked. If it doesn't address the pain and if the discolouration and swelling increases, you can even visit A & E as there can be a pus underneath which may need drainage. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.