Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was in day surgery on Thursday to get a hernia op but when

Customer Question

I was in day surgery on Thursday to get a hernia op but when came round was told I'd had open surgery it wasn't a hernia but a cyst that had been removed and had been sent to the lab to be checked be cause of previous ovarian cancer 9 years ago.I have a 5 to 6 inch scar and was released 3 to 4 hours later with paracetamol for pain needles to say it was useless for pain I was in and I just wondered if this is common practice for someone who has had open surgery.The pain was terrible and only now (sat) starting to get a wee bit better this was horrendous and wouldn't wish it on any one .Do you have any advice for me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are in such pain.

Dr. David :

your doctors should have done an ultrasound before the surgery to confirm the hernia vs cyst diagnosis before the surgery.

Dr. David :

yes, it is common to have severe pain after surgery, even for a cyst removal.

Dr. David :

you should be icing the surgery area which can also help decrease pain.

Dr. David :

the inguinal area is a very sensitive area with a lot of nerves which run through there.