Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

i have being experiencing numbness and tingling on my three

Customer Question

i have being experiencing numbness and tingling on my three fingers out of the five fingers on both hands (thumb,the next one and the center one precisely)for few weeks.Though i changed my job to construction job four months ago where i do lot of hammering using hammers,iron crow bar and handling of things that vibrates.this got me scared because it is taking long time for my fingers to come back to normal even after i stop using vibration tools and using hammers is reduced.Please what can i do.
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 3 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

yes you have injured the nerves going into your hand from the repretitive percussive trauma from the hammer's handle and the other tools you mentioned.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

It can take over a year for nerve damage to finish healing as much as it will. What you can do to assist your body in healing is to add a b-complex vitamin to your diet regimen. If you see a neurologist this will recommend this to you. Additionally, they may do nerve testing to evaluate the conductivity of signals through your nerves and into the muscles as well as actually monitor the degree to which your sensations are coming back to the fingers.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Your primary care physician can also order these tests - EMG and monofilament tests (they perform monofilament sensation tests on diabetics in their offices to monitor any peripheral nerve damage in diabetics)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Avoiding using those tools is the only way you can stop progression of these symptoms and permit your body to repair.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

There are hammers with vibration reducing handles and grips that may help if you need to continue using a hammer, however I couldn't recommend even continuing with that

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I provide good service?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Customer:

yes but it is not complete numb because i still feel it when touched

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes but you have lost some nerve function. The degree of deficit can be evaluated by these tests and over time they can reevaluate you and determine if you're getting function back.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And they will likely recommend you take a b complex vitamin to assist in optimizing your recovery

Customer:

and this morning the numbness on three fingers on my left hand is almost gone but left with tingling

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Full recovery will take up to a year for nerve injury. If you begin using the hammer again you will only serve to halt any healing and injure yourself further.

Customer:

but my right center finger feels heavy everytime i wake up even this morning,i hope it is still part of numbness,i also find it painful to bend in the morning

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

It is probably part of the numbness. Do you sleep on your hands? or with them under any part of your body?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Just as with people who have carpal tunnel syndrome, wearing a wrist brace while you sleep may keep you from further exacerbating your injury.

Customer:

no,also when i do washing with cold water

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This is related to your nerve injury. Possibly some arthritis as well to account for the pain in bending the finger when you wake up and the reaction to the cold water, but most of these symptoms are due to your repetitive nerve trauma.

Customer:

ok.Can i call u ?

Customer:

can i ring you ?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

We don't give out our phone numbers - it is a chat website. We are able to discuss this as long as you wish though on the chat

Customer:

ok.do i have to pay if i still have related question later

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Some experts offer to do that for extra fees, However i feel that most things can be discussed adequately over chat.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No if you're asking about this question again you can always get back to me.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I provide you good service on this question?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

and how would i have this link to chat with you again for related question

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You can sign back into your account and request or reply to me

Customer:

ok.thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir,i dont know if you get the message i sent to you concerning the refund of my £65 that was wrongfully deducted from my account after the fee of £26 pounds for my just answer was already deducted.Am yet to have a response to this.I will be grateful if you can pass this mail to the right person.Thanks
.