Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I have very itchy feet and red bumps are appearing on both

I have very itchy feet and red bumps are appearing on both feet, mostly on the sides and underneath. also, I've had a very bad chest pain since Friday, getting worse as days go on. it's more on my right hand side, and my back aches.
I have had a foot surgery on the 14th of August, I don't know if this can be in relation.
are those extremely itchy red bumps and my chest muscles + back ache something I should worry about?
I am in a lot of discomfort and cannot sleep because of it.
thank you for your advise
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello. what was your foot surgery for?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Also, are you having pain with breathing?

Customer:

hi,

Customer:

not really

Customer:

it hurts when I take a deep breath

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok.

Customer:

I don't recall pulling a muscle though

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Well unfortunately by that part of your problem and that response alone you need to go to the ER. Mainly out of concern that you have a pulmonary embolism. A clot that goes from your leg and into your lungs. This is very common after surgery if people aren't moving around much. This can be a multi-step process with a small piece of a clot in the legs breaking loose only to be followed by a much larger piece in hours or days later. You need to go to the ER and have a CT of the Chest with contrast to look for a clot. They also need to do an ultrasound of your leg's veins to check to see if you have a clot there that needs treated.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The changes on your legs can come from venous obstruction due to a clot or may be unrelated, however your major problem here is the life threatening possibility of a clot in the lungs.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Are you on birth control pills as well?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That makes you at higher risk for this problem

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I would waste no time in getting to the ER because all it takes is one piece of clot to break off from the legs and that can be fatal - I am very serious about this possibility

Customer:

I stopped the pills 2 years ago. its not my legs that are itchy, its both my feet and red bumps had appeared Friday and I have a few more today and mainly ion sole and side of foot.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Are you on any medications related to your surgery? Was it both of your feet or just one that you had foot surgery on.

Customer:

only right foot and no medication, no

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

They also need to see if you have a urinary tract infection considering your back ache. Some infections can cause skin changes, though this seems to be more of a rash rather than an infection, though i am limited without being able to physically examine you.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The very concerning possibility of you having a clot in the lungs has me worried and you need to go to the ER tonight

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This is a serious enough possibility that if you don't you may not wake up in the morning. I am just being very honest with you. A pulmonary embolism is not something to avoid having worked up in the ER by the tests I mentioned.

Customer:

ok, thank you

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Please tell me you will go to the ER.

Customer:

yes, will do

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The rash will be evaluated as well too but the chance of a PE is so severe and immediate

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

they will take prompt care of you.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I provide good service? Did I answer your question?

Customer:

yes :)

Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience: MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.