Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Girl aga 11 itchy rash just around nose, slightly red but no

Customer Question

Girl aga 11 itchy rash just around nose, slightly red but no spots and a bit flakey
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

that girl age 11 could have a bacterial infection around the nose called impetigo.

Dr. David :

there are special prescription antibiotic ointments like mupirocin (bactroban) which could help the bacterial infection.

Dr. David :

you should take her to the A&E or a GP doctor and see if it is indeed an impetigo skin bacterial infection.

Customer:

A phamacist told us it was not impetigo but we should see a GP, that a setroid cream might be needed, but I cannot get an appointment until Thursday and it seems a long time to wait.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

you can try an over the counter steroid cream like hydrocortisone 1% which you could get at the drug store.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

yes but we would have to say it was not for the face as they will not sell it. I can try to get an emergency appointment am tomorrow seems a bit overkill but perhaps the best option

Dr. David :

yes, best to get her to see a doctor right away.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. David :

and try the over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream for a few days to see if that helps

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions