Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Am very worried about daughter who has has major op on knee

Am very worried about daughter who has has major op on knee that was smashed up in accident. In hospital for 4 days waiting for op discharged on the 9th day without any after care instructions. She has been in terrible pain, on Morphine and paracetamol for the 10 days since she came home, finds it very difficult to keep leg down for long, because other knee was twisted in fall. She hops around on Zimmer. She had to go to the District nurse to have clips removed, 10 miles away, no home visit. No exercise routine suggested. Should she keep leg up or down, Is it better to walk around until she is screaming in agony? She is so emotional and can't stop crying. Lives with Alchaholic husband. Help
Neti
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Do you know what the operation was for? Was it to repair the ligaments or was it to address the bone fracture?

Customer:

The top of femur that fits into knee socket was smashed into tiny little bits. was fitted back together as best as possible and has a metal plat holding it all together. Sorry don't know medical terms for anything.

Dr Uzair :

I understand, let me revise this and if you agree on my statement then we can proceed, the accidental trauma to her knee caused the head of her tibia (the bone in the leg)/plateau of her tibia to shatter and it was opened and reduced and an external fixator has been applied.

Customer:

I think that is what happened but I understand my explanation better!! And the ligaments were torn away by the way.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, ligaments do get damaged, so to answer your queries, she can only bear weight on her leg assisted with crutches and only for necessary activities, like going to the bathroom, going for a glass of water and to move around the house when required. She should not stand for prolonged periods of time and use a walker or crutches to walk.
She should not keep her leg suspended and should try to keep the knee elevated above the level of the heart as much as she can, this will reduce swelling and pain. She should continue to take the medication she has been advised and she will benefit from Ibuprofen liquigel massage from foot to her thigh thrice a day.

Dr Uzair :

For now, an exercise routine will not benefit her since she has an external fixator on and there is no range of motion on the knee joint, so walking around with crutches will be enough exercise for her at this point in time.

Dr Uzair :

Please reply back if you have more queries.

Customer:

Thank you so much for that. I have just talked to my daughter and she feels so much better now that she knows that she shouldn't be pushing herself to do more all the time. But I would like to know how long should she keep going with this routine?

Dr Uzair :

Till the external fixator is in place, which usually is for about 6 to 8 weeks. Or till her primary surgeon advises her to step up her daily activities.

Dr Uzair :

It is a pleasure to help.

Customer:

Can you tell me what the external fixator is? She is already bandaged up to thigh and had a metal structure to keep it steady. How does she put liquigel under that?

Dr Uzair :

I'm sorry about that, the external fixator is the metal structure that is keeping her bones together until the fractures heal.

Dr Uzair :

After so many days, technically she shouldn't need a bandage continuously, so she can open her bandage up, apply the liquigel and put the bandage back on again. The bandage has an advantage of keeping the swelling in control.

Customer:

OK so she already has a fixator on. Thank you once again for your help, its hard to find a real doctor anymore. My father was one of those rare beings and I miss them.

Dr Uzair :

God bless you and your family. Take good care and hope your daughter feels better soon.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating if you have no more queries.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have only just received your last message about removing the bandage but fail to see how that is possible under the metal contraption that looks as if it is locked in place. But when she sees her specialist on Friday maybe he will explain all that to her.
Thanks once again
Neti