DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my daughter attends a unit in a school for autism and she is

Customer Question

my daughter attends a unit in a school for autism and she is 9 1/2 years old and for 5 years she has been the only girl in her class so she feels very upset and confused as to why other girls in other classes in her school are all able to mix and she is not able to as there are boys only in her class, she does not understand that she has autism but understands that she is missing out and as she has got older she is now more aware of her school situation, I have contacted her school about this but there is nothing they can do about this and I understand that more boys get autism than girls but this has been no constellation to my daughter and it worries me as to how this will affect my daughters emotional development, any advice would be greatly received
KIND REGARDS
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are correct.
Girls and boys are hardwired differently.

Socialization among girls is important, and the deprivation of such can have ill effects in terms of psychological pressure due to that lack of socialization.

There is some good evidence that in the grades, and even into middle school girls need girls.

I would find the school psychologist and discuss this issue seriously.

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.