Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a carotid artery dissection and need advice on going

I have a carotid artery dissection and need advice on going back to work.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you give me more information and how is it being treated now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am taking 75mg aspirin a day, after taking 300mg for two weeks. My blood pressure meds were doubled and it is now under control. I have been off work for four weeks. Just have concerns about going back.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Paul. Of course you need to discuss this with your doctor but if your blood pressure is under control and the dissection is stable then you should be able to return to work in my opinion
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Can I just ask how to know if a dissection is stabilised. Also would you advise any restrictions. I am a police officer. My horners is still pronounced. I have headaches all day and one eye has blurred vision on the horners side. I also get a lot of twinges in my neck and tenderness around the eye that feels like brain freeze. I was on cocodemol but it was making me constipated, now the pain is constant. Please advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I have a reply please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I cannot rate until I receive a reply. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Usually if the symptoms are not progressing that means the dissection is stable
If the dissection was getting worse then symptoms would be too
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I was off when you replied before. The best way to see if the dissection is stabilized is to do an MRA--MRI angiogram. As for your job, in your case if there's a vision problem still it might not be a good idea to resume work yet but that would really be up to your superiors.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.